Friday, November 4, 2011

Polar Bear Ice Flows - Let’s Fake It

 

I was watching William Shatner’s Weird or What show a while ago and there was a bit about why the seals that usually hang out somewhere off the coast of California suddenly took off a couple of weeks before an earthquake. The details of this segment aren’t all that important because it’s not really what this is about. The show got me thinking about what the seals were doing there. They hang out on the docks and peers of the harbor. Just wooden platforms set out on the water.

This is what led me to thinking about our beautiful-but-in-trouble polar bears of the north. Because of global warming the ice is melting more rapidly and the polar bears are losing their most important form of water transport – the ice flows. These polar bears need something to help them get from one area to another for breeding and feeding throughout different times of the year. It occurs to me that ice flows with ocean currents. All the flows follow the oceans’ lead as to where they are going and how fast they get there. If the ice is melting to fast and the bears can’t use them any more then why don’t we help them by building fake ice flows?

By fake ice flows, I mean that we should be gathering up any sort of recyclable plastic we can get our hands on and forming it into fake ice flows. Then we just place them in the proper ocean currents and let nature take it from there. These fake ice flows would float just as the ice does.

Why not use our plastic garbage to build fake ice flows for polar bears and other animals that use ice flows in and around the artic?

Is there any decent human out there that can help me implement this? Or any decent company that will take the reins (with me involved) to make this real?

Are there any scientists that can tell me that this isn’t a good solution to an immediate problem? Or any that can tell me it is and back me up on this? This really seems like it could work to save hundreds of polar bear lives. Sure, we may have to remove the fake flows once balance is restored but for right now, why not use the fake ice flows.

I am just one person – actually I am one very simple and isolated individual with no real resources to implement this except for reaching out to others that care about this situation. When I am not writing or working on my artwork I am taking care of animals which really means that most of my time is spent taking care of animals. It is a lot of work to really look after animals. I am not very active in the business world and I really shy away from politics and current economic and business practice because it makes me so angry. Because of this I don’t make much money – I never smooze people and as an artist of sorts I am repelled by the process of selling even though it would be in my best financial interest if I was less modest about my work. I am telling you this because this idea of creating fake ice flows as at least a temporary solution to the problems that the polar bears are facing is a good idea that deserves attention. I am not prone to running around trying to get attention for anything but I think this is important enough to warrant me asking around if anyone can make this happen.

So, I am asking. Got any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment